Friday, September 24, 2010

The vote was overwhelming (as far as it went)

You can find the original comment below in its entirety here. It's dated Sept. 19 at 10:52 p.m.

Anonymous said ...
You I heard the vote was overwhelming.

 The vote tally was 364 in favor of leaving, and 69 in favor of staying.  My point is do you want the future of your church to be dictated by 433 people or by the entire church family, all of whom have a stake and a say in this. Also, it takes two thirds of the congregation to ratify leaving. Granted, the first vote represents far more than two thirds, but there is a second vote to be taken.

Anonymous said ...
In any event, the Pastors are responsible for the direction of their flock and will have to answer for their decisions good and bad when they meet their maker.

And I would add, just as you and I will.


Anonymous said ...
In the meantime the congregation has spoken, and instead of believing they are all a bunch of stupid sheep easily misled, I believe they all sought God's guidance, examined the choices carefully and voted based on how they felt the Lord was guiding them.

I would argue that the congregation has not spoken.  439 people out of 3,500 rostered members have spoken. I would not question those who were present and voted either way.  I’m sure their choices were for good reason. 

Anonymous said ...
It's a shame that when the vote went against the people who wanted to stay in the ELCA, certain people then turned around and started a blog to sow seeds of dissention, instead of running their concerns through the proper procedures and channels.

By “certain people”, I would assume you are referring to me.  My name is Tom Weller; not “certain people.”  I would argue that I first addressed this issue with Pastor Garman over a year ago, Pastor Carol and Pastor Jeff at separate times and have been working diligently gathering and dispensing information ever since.  I do NOT sow seeds of dissent.  This blog champions transparency, open discussion, full disclosure and intelligent conversation in order to encourage informed voting. 

Anonymous said ...
I’ve seen this happen many times before in various churches of different denominations.

You have stated my point exactly. It is far better to be open and transparent with a decision of this magnitude than to allow for the slightest hint of impropriety, would you not agree? I openly disagree with Pastoral leadership and have stated so publicly.  I do not publish anonymously.


Anonymous said ...
Instead of accepting the decisions of the church and supporting the church, or choosing another church home that more closely conforms to their doctrinal statement, people will do all they can to split the church, cause problems, dissention, and generally wreak havoc.

I accept the decisions of the church and support them.  Mine happens to be the ELCA, of which I am currently an active member.  What church would you be speaking of? 

You are saying then that because I exercise my freedom, granted by the church and by the United States Constitution to speak my dissent freely and openly prior may I add to a vote that will affirm a final decision, that you would accuse me of doing all I can to split the church, cause problems, dissension, and generally wreak havoc.  I am trying to save this church from making, IN MY OPINION, the mistake of walking away from our Lord and Savior and turning our backs on the only commandment in the current canon, which as you I’m sure will recall is:  “A new commandment I give to you; that you shall love one another as I have loved you.”  What part of Commandment do you not understand, and which part excludes parts of society?  Please sir/madam, explain yourself.

Anonymous said ...
Of course Satan loves every second of it.

Satan gains no victory here, and derives no pleasure.  There are two or more of us gathered in HIS name of which we speak.  And when that happens, sir/madam, there is love! 

Thank you for your post.  You express your passion well, and although we disagree, we are still equal in His eyes.  Please remember to be in attendance at the next congregational meeting on NOVEMBER 7, 2010 and vote your conscience.  Yours in service to Christ, Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment