Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Comments from a passionate poster

I appreciate this person's passion. Here are my thoughts about his or her comments:

Anonymous said ...
Here we go with more conspiracy theories. The March newsletter was sent out detailing all that was happening with this issue and pointing people to the website to checkout FAQs and the letter from the ELCA, etc. That was back in MARCH. The only reason it was taken down was because it had been up for MONTHS and was stale. It was replaced with pertinent information about the process and what’s happening now.

I'm not exactly sure how you know the reason for taking the information down, but I would ask: As the time for the vote draws near, where is the information now?  Stale?  Hardly, a topic of this nature requires constant updating not just a singular posting.  If it becomes stale, freshen it! 

Anonymous said ...
It’s very simple. If you are an involved member, you would have seen and heard what was happening with this issue and could have attended the meetings, classes, and discussions on the subject. Then you could have decided to talk to the Pastors, church members, held your own meetings, and come up with an action plan to help influence members to look at things from your point of view.

I consider myself an involved member, and have been so for many years.  I attended the meetings and several discussions.  I spoke with all three pastors, and several dozen more! I talked to over 200 lay people all over the country regarding this issue.  I heard the “company line” but never was exposed to “informed dissent.” That information I had to uncover on my own. Also, I'm less confident than you that anyone with a different point of view would have been granted support for publicizing and holding their own meetings.

Anonymous said ...
There has been a lot of time allocated for people to make up their minds on this issue. AND THERE IS STILL ONE MORE VOTE. If you feel the congregation is not accurately represented, then by all means please make sure people TURN OUT AND VOTE.

Right you are! And that's what I'm trying to do. You will note that at the end of each of my replies to posts, I encourage people not only to attend, but to vote their conscience.  With the exception of one other person, I am also the only one on this blog who has chosen to identify myself. 

Anonymous said ...
If the people are really concerned about this issue then surely they can take an hour out of their schedule to vote. If they are new to this issue and this is the first they are hearing of it then that calls their commitment to the church into question.

I agree that they can and should take an hour out of their schedule to vote.  It is their responsibility if they are indeed engaged with the church family.  I would suggest that those who do not have complete and full knowledge should not have their commitment called into question; rather they should be encouraged to find the answers to their questions attend and vote their conscience as well.

Anonymous said ...
This issue has NOT been hidden, hushed up, or anything of the sort. I’ve heard enough discussion on the topic that I’m tired of it and wish they’d move on and get it over with already so the church can move on and reach the community with God’s word and do what they were put here by God to do. Not quarrel over internal matters that take the focus away from God and Christ and saving souls.

You have and are entitled to have your opinion.  I do not happen to share it with you.  A quarrel over internal matters may well be the best thing to happen within a family. 

Anonymous said ...
There is no way to control an absentee ballot process. Again, if you are concerned about the future of the church, put your priorities in order and SHOW UP FOR THE VOTE.

I hope you put yours in order as well.  Get out and vote, but encourage all the members you know to vote as well.  This is not some kind of game we are playing; this is a dynamic change in direction for us.  I suggest that 400 and some people are not the only involved people in this church family. 

Thank you for your comments.  You are passionate and I appreciate that passion.  Now let’s work together to get information disseminated where it is requested, and get everyone we can to be there and vote their conscience.  Thanks for your response.

No comments:

Post a Comment