Wednesday, October 6, 2010

This is why I began this blog

You can find the comment excerpted below in its entirety here. It's dated September 29 at 8:05 p.m. I wanted to make a few comments here.

Anonymous said ...
Thank you for the scriptural links and article on-line. I have since found many more articles. There appears to be a real schism on the interpretation of these 7 verses of scripture, with many strong arguments on both sides.

This is the very reason I initiated this blog.  I’m thankful that these links helped.  To some of your other questions, I will also point out certain links which may be of help.

Anonymous said ...
I did not participate in the first vote, as I am conflicted on this issue. Many people at church appear to be comfortable with their decisions. I decided to let the majority speak and determine whether or not to stay in the church, depending on any ensuing changes. I was dismayed when only a minority of members voted.

Folks, this is a “YOU” issue, not a him or her issue.  Our church is coming to a crossroads in making this decision.  It is a decision that we need to make together, all of us, and be as informed as we can be when we cast our vote at the congregational meeting of November 7, 2010.  As most of you are now seeing, this is not a cut-and-dried situation as to leaving ELCA.  It has many facets, and we simply have not explored everything there is to learn.

Anonymous said ...
During the church meeting I attended, our pastors effectively communicated their positions. I respect them all, but I couldn't really articulate my concerns at that time. It was easier for me to let someone else make the decision, and then react to it later. Now I find myself confronting my concerns once again, but certainly don't want to "sow any seeds of discontent."

This is precisely my point, and why this blog was established.  None of us might feel comfortable standing in a public forum and asking questions or expressing an opinion contrary to what we perceive the general consensus to be.  It is important that we all know and understand that there are others just like us, who feel as we do, and want simply to be heard and the issue explained more fully.

Anonymous said ...
One thing that concerns me--are gay people genetically predisposed or is their lifestyle merely a choice? I've read articles indicating that the brain scans of gay men resemble scans of women's brains. There seem to be questions as to whether the hormonal balances in utero of gay people are different from those of the "straight" population. (Those of us who raised teenagers know the havoc hormones can create.) I don't know, however, if anyone in the scientific community has taken a stance one way or the other on this subject? Is this lifestyle merely one of choice? I'm not gay so I don't have experience in this regard. However, I can't imagine why anyone would choose a lifestyle that subjects them to so much ridicule, discrimination, and at times open hatred, without there being some predisposition.

This fall, I have a book coming out that discusses this issue in its relation to the bigger issue of religion and the GLBT community (The letters stand for Gay, Lesbian, Bi Sexual and Transgender). This is not a simple question to answer, and the scientific community has just as much problem with it as do you and I.  One of the survey interviews that I conducted expressed one person’s feelings and I feel is worth sharing:

……“Let’s look more closely at the personal side of what it means to be gay in this world. First, to the issue of this being a “chosen lifestyle” or the result of a “fall from grace into sin.” I am often stunned by how quickly those who would argue that people like me have “chosen” this “sick” life are so quick to argue something they truly know so little about. My knowing (and indeed, the knowing of most of my gay brothers and sisters) is that I was born to be this way with absolutely no choice in the matter. My very earliest memories support this fact.”……

The study that I did is not meant to be scientific.  It is a blind study, insofar, as none of the responders to the survey are known to me.  I am familiar with this particular responder as they chose to comment outside of the actual survey,and know this is how they perceive of themselves. There are two links I will provide to you for further study. 

www.soulforce.com is a faith based group of GLBT and non GLBT members which discusses issues of this type among many other subjects.

www.avert.org/being-gay.html is a second site from which you can gather information.

To be transparent, which is of course what this blog espouses, an opposing opinion is provided at this site:

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/genetics_of_homosexuality.html.

As is obvious after reading all the information, there is at present no better source to which to turn than those who are GLBT. And the brief snippet above does as good a job of clarifying that issue as exists at the present time.  I have heard and read the same opinions from many others. 

Anonymous said ...
Another concern - If our congregation makes this decision, will gay people feel they are welcome in the congregation? The current stance of the church, I believe, is that they should live a celibate life to avoid sin. If that works, great. However, this stance has certainly backfired in the Catholic church community as some men (who apparently had gay tendencies) entered the priesthood to live a life of service to God in a celibate lifestyle. I guess what I am asking-is this a realistic expectation? If a gay person tried to live a celibate life and then couldn't, would they feel like they could remain in the congregation? Jesus reached out to the unacceptable members of society in His time--would He want us to push these people away?

The title of my book is “What Would He Say”. And that is how I choose to live my life.  To answer your first question, you have to walk, with your imagination, in the shoes of a GLBT person, to feel what it would be like.  And of course, no two people are alike, and therefore, no example is all inclusive.  However, just ask yourself how you would feel, and what you think, Jesus might say.  The greatest commandment, the one that I argue is the reason for the before, during and after story of Christ being told in the biblical texts, is contained in the Gospel of John 13: 34-35.   That is where I feel that we as Christians misinterpret what we are being taught.

Anonymous said ...
Another concern - It is my understanding that ELCA is allowing member churches to decide not to adopt this new particular viewpoint and not to call pastors who do. So why leave the ELCA? Staying allows a dialogue on this issue to continue; leaving ends the dialogue. I am concerned that continued divisions within the Christian faith causes more people to question their faith rather than living it.

ELCA has repeatedly stated and it is expressed continuously that no congregation will be forced to hire someone whom they the congregation, does not want to hire.  This is an expression of inclusion by ELCA, not forced upon individual church families.  I am working on posting an email that I received from Marcus Kunz, who is the assistant to Presiding Bishop Hansen that spells this out.

Folks, now you see why I began this blog.  Regardless of what some might think, I’m not the enemy here, nor is ELCA.  I am concerned that all of us have complete and total information before being asked to make such an important decision.  I have been researching this topic and its dynamics for many years.  I certainly do not have all the answers, and neither, I would argue does our congregation without total transparent, all inclusive discussion and reference material. 

Thank you so much for joining our discussion.  It is important for you to know that we are all family here, and what is best for our entire family is the issue here.  I hope this information is helpful to you.

Please plan to attend the congregational meeting on NOVEMBER 7, 2010 and please vote your conscience.  Yours in service to Christ, Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment